Years ago, I created this Email Policy for my users that I summarized from many sources. If you are in the process to create email policy for your company or reviewing your current on, you can use it for a start and than change it as your need.
Purpose of Email Policy
The purpose of this policy is to ensure the proper use of XYZ’s email system. All messages distributed via the company?s email system, even personal emails, are XYZ property. You must have no expectation of privacy in anything that you create, store, send or receive on the company?s email system. Your emails can be monitored without prior notification if XYZ deems this necessary. If there is evidence that you are not adhering to the guidelines set out in this policy, the company reserves the right to take disciplinary action, including termination and/or legal action. If you have any questions or comments about this Email Policy, please contact your supervisor.
It is strictly prohibited to
- Send / forward emails with any pornography, political, libelous, defamatory, offensive, racist or obscene remarks
- Send an attachment that contains a virus
- Send unsolicited email messages (Spamming)
- Send of forward chain mail. Chain email is a message sent to a number of people asking each recipient to send copies with the same request to a specific number of others.
- Forge or attempt to forge email messages.
- Disguise or attempt to disguise your identity when sending mail (Spoofing)
- Send email messages using another person?s email account
- Copy a message or attachment belonging to another user without permission of the originator
XYZ considers email as an important means of communication and recognizes the importance of proper email content and speedy replies in conveying a professional image and delivering good customer service. Users should take the same care in drafting an email as they would for any other communication. Therefore XYZ wishes users to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Use short, descriptive subject. Subject should be the summary of the email. Do not use blank subject.
- Use well structured email body. Sentences should be short and to the point. You can start your email with ?Hi?, or ?Dear?, and the name of the person. Messages can be ended with ?Best Regards?
- Maximum Email size is x MB (xxxx KB) *. If you need to send email larger than the maximum size, please contact IT department
- Email size that between x MB (xxxx KB) and x MB (xxxx KB) will be delivered in off peak hour (12:00 AM – 06:00 AM). If you need to send large attachment immediately, please contact IT Department *
- Please put only appropriate users in To, CC , and BCC. Unnecessary recipients will result of wastage of resources
- No email conversation, use phone or meet face to face if necessary, create summary of the conversation then sent it to appropriate recipients
- Do not send unnecessary attachments. Compress attachments if possible using third party software (etc, winzip), for image attachment use jpeg format if possible.
- Do not write emails in capitals. It offensive
- Only mark emails as important if they really are important.
- Users must spell check all mails prior to transmission (spell check only necessary if the email written in English)
- In business email, do not use abbreviation such as BTW (By the way) and LOL (Laugh Out Loud). Also do not use emoticons such smiley :-). It’s not appropriate.
Replying to Emails
- Do not use ‘Reply To All’ unless necessary.
- When reply emails, please delete unnecessary attachments
Although the company?s email system is meant for business use, XYZ allows personal usage if it is reasonable and does not interfere with work.
Users are responsible for safeguarding their password. Password should be obscure and a minimum of 8 characters in length. They should not be printed, stored on line or given to others. Email account and password obtained from IT department are solely intended for your individual use and should not be shared. If a user must temporarily share his or her password, then they user must change the password as soon as possible afterward. Password should be change on regular basis.
Never send any confidential information via email. If you are in doubt as to whether to send certain information via email, check this with your supervisor first.
- Delete unnecessary emails
- Users have their own responsibility to manage their emails. Users have to decide where the email should be stored (folder), when to delete or archive emails.
- Obey quotas. Every emails have quotas. If your emails already exceeded quota, delete or archive unnecessary emails. If you think you need more space than as is, please contact your supervisor (for more information about quotas, please look at Quota Implemantation )
Use File Server for alternative share files
If you want to send internal email with large attachments, please save it in File Server, and sent them as links. **
Please review the Excel file in x:\path\to\file.xls
Additional Guidelines for External / Internet Mail
- Use signatures. Signatures must include your name, job title and company name.
- Use standard email format as possible, plain text if possible. Not everyone or every company use the same email client as ours. ***
- Put images as attachments, do not put images in the body of the email.
- Do not use internal tables. Some user may have problem to display tables with their mail client (examples: Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, Group Wise). Create necessary tables in Excel, and put it as attachments.
- Do not use text color, background color or other special format.
* The size of maximum mail size, and the size of email that will be sent off peak hours can be change without prior notice.
** File Server has it own policy, you should also follow it’s policy.